Missouri - HB942
Changes requirements for school accreditation classifications
January 27, 2021
House Bill 942 (Haffner) has passed the Rules Committee and is on the formal calendar for debate on the floor. This bill would
- Require DESE to accredit each school building and automatically label 10% as unaccredited, no matter how well those schools perform.
- The bottom 25% would be provisionally accredited.
- Unaccredited buildings are required to work with “school improvement experts” (probably the source of the bill) and districts are encouraged to turn the buildings into charter schools.
- Mandates the measures DESE uses to award accreditation.
- A school district with more than half of its buildings unaccredited will also be labeled unaccredited.