Connect with Legislators
Developing a relationship with your local legislators is important for you and your school, but also supports advocacy efforts of the Illinois Principals Association and the Illinois Statewide School Management Alliance. Below are some ideas to connect and build relationships with local policy makers.
- Host legislators for a school visit or to shadow you as "Principal for a Day" (click here for more information)
- Invite legislators to open house events
- Invite legislators to school events such as concerts, science fairs, assemblies, etc.
- Invite legislators to attend your IPA Region Student Recognition events
- Invite legislators to a legislative event with your IPA region - Legislative Breakfast, After School Round Table, etc.
- Attend your legislators' town hall meetings
- Schedule a meeting with your legislator in their office
- Offer to serve as a resource for education policy, or volunteer for your legislator's education advisory committee
For more ideas on how to connect with legislators or for assistance in reaching your local legislators, contact Alison Maley at (217) 525-1383