Tell Congress to Pass WRDA 2022
The House and Senate have introduced their own versions of the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 2022. While each bill has been passed out of its respective committee, the House is expected to take their legislation up by unanimous consent this week!
ASCE urges all Members of Congress to maintain a two-year cycle for WRDA and make it a priority in 2022. ASCE is specifically advocating for inclusion of these provisions:
- Reauthorizing the National Levee Safety Program through Fiscal Year 2026;
- Adjusting the cost share for the Inland Waterways Trust Fund;
- Incorporating of resilience measures into federal storm restoration and recovery projects;
- Enhancing the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ (USACE) workforce efforts by encouraging STEM careers;
- Expanding of dam and levee safety programs, and assessments of USACE owned dams and levees; and
- Authorizing and expanding new dredging activities.
ASCE believes the nation must prioritize the investment needs of our water resources infrastructure which include dams, levees, ports, and inland waterways, to ensure public safety, a strong economy, and the protection of our environmental resources.
In ASCE’s 2021 Report Card for America’s Infrastructure, dams and levees received a “D” grade, while inland waterways received a grade of “D+”. Ports fared better with a grade of “B+”. Give Americans the safe and reliable water infrastructure systems they deserve by urging Congress to pass WRDA 2022.