Your membership with NASW includes a powerful, progressive effort to elevate the social work profession and change laws that can impact the profession and clients of social work.
To bring our social work voice into the State House, we:
- Testify at the State House on various pieces of legislation
- Work with partners of various coalitions (full list below) to make a concerted effort for change
- Identify and endorse political candidates who promote social work values to help get them elected
- Build relationships with policymakers and state agency staff to postively impact policy and practice
There are many ways to get acquainted with our political work:
- Action Center- Learn how a bill gets passed in Massachusetts and ways to take action
- Our Legislative Agenda- The priority bills that we are putting our efforts behind to get passed
- Committees & Shared Interest Groups (SIGs)- Open to all members; includes the Legislative Advocacy Committee and the PACE
- Legislative Education & Advocacy Day (LEAD)- Our annual day of advocacy in the State House that takes place each Spring
Don't want to miss an opportunity? Join our Legislative Alert Network to receive advocacy related e-updates.
Internship Opportunity: Will you be a second year or advanced MSW* student in the Fall of 2018 who is interested in advocacy and legislation as its related to social justice? Each Spring we begin to accept rolling applications for internships at our Chapter. For more information, please e-mail the Political Director, Sophie Hansen.
*We accept BSW and first year MSW students on a case-by-case basis