Fiscal Committee Agrees That Huge Federal Charter School Grant Threatens New Hampshire Neighborhood School Funding
Overwhelming number of unanswered questions prompts Legislative Fiscal Committee to table approving receipt of grant funds
Commissioner Edelblut announced recently that New Hampshire had been awarded a $46 million grant to open 27 new charter schools – doubling the number of charters in NH.
Federal funds cannot be used for operational expenses. The grant only covers start-up costs – not operating or maintenance costs – amounts that the taxpayers of the state will be responsible for years after the grant money runs out.
In his testimony to the Fiscal Committee, the commissioner failed to note that if the number of charter students in the state doubles from roughly 4,000 to 8,000, the state would be responsible for providing at least an additional $13.6 million per year in charter aid that has not been budgeted .
The Fiscal Committee session served to highlight the lack of information the commissioner has made available regarding the grant, and to preview the deficiencies we can expect should the grant be accepted. We believe their vote to table acceptance of the grant was in the best interest of students, parents, educators, and taxpayers.
Please take a moment and send a “thank you” to members of the committee for their support of public education.
- Rep. Mary Jane Wallner 24 Samuel Drive Concord, NH 03301-3051 Maryjane.Wallner@leg.state.nh.us 603.225.5249
- Rep. Susan Ford 557 Sugar Hill Road Easton, NH 03580-5503 Susan.Ford@leg.state.nh.us 603.823.5609
- Rep. Peter Leishman 39 Birch Road Peterborough, NH 03458-1900 email@example.com 603.924.0004
- Sen. Jay Kahn State House, Room 115 107 North Main Street Concord, NH 03301 Office Phone: 603-271-3077 Cell Phone: 603-381-2930 Jay.Kahn@leg.state.nh.us
- Sen. Donna Soucy State House, Room 302 107 North Main Street Concord, NH 03301 Phone: 603-271-2111 Donna.Soucy@leg.state.nh.us
- Rep. David Huot 19 Wildwood Road Laconia, NH 03246-2972 firstname.lastname@example.org 603.524.7641
- Sen. Cindy Rosenwald State House Room 105 107 N Main Street Concord, NH 03301 Phone: 603-271-4980 Cindy.Rosenwald@leg.state.nh.us
- Sen. Lou D’Allesandro State House, Room 117 107 North Main Street Concord, NH 03301 Phone: 603-271-2117 Email: email@example.com
- Rep. Patricia Lovejoy 21 Coach Road Stratham, NH 03885-2258 Patricia.Lovejoy@leg.state.nh.us 603.778.9662