HIVMA Social Media Guide
Updated: May 2018
- Message character limit, counting spaces, is 280, and photos, retweets and hyperlinks no longer count towards your character limit.
- At the beginning of a Tweet, if you place a period before a Twitter handle, it will send that Tweet to that handle’s followers and to your followers.
- Including photos or relevant hyperlinks to resources that provide context specific to your state or congressional district is always helpful.
- HIVMA’s Twitter handle is @HIVMA
- IDSA’s Twitter handle is @IDSAInfo
Twitter Handles for Members of Congress:
- Visit https://twitter.com/cspan/lists/members-of-congress/members and check the list on the bottom left side of the page to pull up the list of either Senate or House twitter handles, or Google the name of the member, such as “Rep John Lewis” and the word “twitter” to find a twitter account in seconds before you start to tweet!
- Insert that Twitter handle in place of the @____ below.
Sample Tweets – Please upload photos with tweets when possible, and edit for length when needed!:
- .@____, please reject the president’s proposed cuts to domestic & global #HIV/#AIDS programs in FY 2019. Funding for #RyanWhite, #NIH, #CDC, and other agencies is critical to reaching an #AIDSFreeGen.
- Now is the time to #FundHealth to continue making progress expanding #HIV care & prevention: @____, for FY 2019, please fund CDC #HIV, #hepatitis, #STD, #TB at $1.430 billion and fund #RyanWhite at $2.465 billion.
- .@_____, please reject the FY19 proposal to eliminate the #RyanWhite AIDS Education and Training Centers (AETCs) & Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS). These programs are vital to developing the #HIV #workforce and models of HIV care to better reach key populations.
- .@____, please support the restoration of $4 million to #RyanWhite Part C funding for #CommunityHealthCenters and other frontline health providers serving our most vulnerable patients.
- Our decades-long commitment to #HIVresearch has given us incredible life-saving #HIV prevention tools and treatment options. @____: to reach an #AIDSfreeGen, please support increased investments in @NIH research.
- @____, did you know more than 40% of people in #HIV care depend on #Medicaid for their life-saving treatment? This protects their health and stops HIV transmission. Please ensure that Medicaid continues its vital mission & reject new policies such as work requirements. http://bit.ly/2wPVD3z
- Responding to the #opioid epidemic requires a comprehensive response -- addiction, overdose, & other medical consequences incl #InfectiousDiseases like #HIV, #hepatitisC, endocarditis. Need $$$ for ↑ prevention, ↑ surveillance, ↑ treatment, ↑ workforce, ↑ research.
- CDC identified 220 counties at risk for $opioid-related #HIV and #hepatitisC outbreaks. These counties will require increased funding for their health department to improve surveillance, expand syringe service programs, implement HIV and viral hepatitis screening.
- @____, the infectious disease & #HIV workforce are crucial to the #opioid response. We must expand #workforce capacity by improving access to #telehealth, education and training, and reducing barriers and providing supports for prescribers.
- 2016 saw the highest ever number of #STD diagnoses: 1.6 million cases of #chlamydia, 470k cases of #gonorrhea, and 28k cases of #syphilis, including a 28% increase in congenital syphilis. This is a #NationalPublicHealthEmergency.
- @____, for FY19 support a $75M increase for CDC #STD prevention to help build public health capacity in your state and district. Health departments need these resources for STD screening, linkage to care, partner notification, & other efforts to treat & prevent new infections.
- @____, to begin addressing the growing #syphilis epidemic, please address price and supply issues for penicillin. Please appropriately fund CDC #STD prevention and ensure a reliable supply of this important medicine.