What is FNPAC?
The Florida Nurses Political Action committee or FNPAC was organized to elect political candidates and to advance the outcome of political issues or legislation to benefit nursing and health care.
A Board of Trustees is appointed to carry out the mission of the PAC. In election years, the PAC interviews candidates based on FNA's priority legislative agenda and selects which candidates to endorse. Any member in good standing can serve on the PAC. Trustess serve two year terms and can be reappointed.
The PAC is funded by donations from the members of the Florida Nurses Associaiton. If you are interested in joining the FNPAC, email email@example.com.
What is a Legislative District Coordinator (LDC)?
Legislative District Coordinators (LDCs) are the heart and soul of FNA’s Governmental Relations Program. They are Florida Nurses Association members who engage in various political activities to represent FNA’s political positions on legislative issues that affect Florida nurses. LDCs come from both major political parties with a healthy respect for the individual rights of members to disagree with FNA positions, and a commitment to always report FNA positions when speaking within an official LDC capacity.
What Does a LDC Do?
- Organizes nurses within his/her neighborhood/community to work on political campaigns.
- Establishes a rapport with his/her legislator and his/her staff so that when an FNA issue is ready for consideration, the legislator remembers his/her FNA contact on the issue.
- Contacts nurses in his/her neighborhood about FNA positions on issues and urges the nurses to join FNA and become a political nurse.
- Organizes, along with other LDCs in the area, a legislative reception where nurses and legislators discuss issues.
- Receives all FNA Political Action Commentaries and Alerts during legislative sessions and committee hearing weeks and shares the information with as many nurses as possible asking them to contact legislators to support FNA’s positions.
- Sends a lobby report form from FNA to lobbyists when an interesting contact is made regarding an FNA issue.
- Interviews legislators and candidates for office and reports how they stand on FNA issues.
- Makes a recommendation for the Florida Nurses Political Action Committee’s consideration regarding political endorsement and/or degree of financial support to offer candidates.
- Has fun! As U.S. Senator Bob Graham says, “Politics is fun!”
If you have any questions, or would like more information on becoming an LDC, please contact:
Bibi Lowton, firstname.lastname@example.org