ASCE Advocacy and Public Policy Activities: Fly-in attendee
1. How did you become interested in and get involved in advocacy as an ASCE Key Contact?
After completing my first fly-In in 2015, it really motivated me to become involved with the legislative process as an American citizen. Therefore, I signed up for the key contact program and haven’t looked back!
2. Has your advocacy experience as a Key Contact helped you improve skills you utilize personally or professionally?
Yes, it has helped to break down walls and barriers when interacting with elected officials and their staffs on national, state, and local levels. Also, when I receive a key contact email notice, I send it to the 250 Montgomery branch members so they can “Click and Connect” and have their voices heard.
3. As a public employee how have you overcome the conflicts that many members in similar roles face when serving on behalf of ASCE?
When participating in the key contact program, I always contact the elected officials as a private citizen and not a public employee. I believe it is a duty as an American to be involved in the legislative process with our representatives.
4. What have you found rewarding about your Key Contact efforts? Is there a particular memorable experience you can share?
The most rewarding experience about the key contact program is to get to walk the halls of Capitol Hill and meet with our representatives about infrastructure issues facing this great nation.
5. What advice would you give to someone interested in getting involved in advocacy at ASCE?
Join the key contact program and get involved! Your voice might be the reason that a piece of legislation gets completed, becomes a law and impacts your city, state and the nation.
BECOME A KEY CONTACT!